Friday 19 July 2013

Why it's ok to be a Female Driver but NOT a "Woman Driver" (according to my dad)


My father started teaching me to drive since the age of 12... 10 years later according to him I still have alot to learn. One thing he did manage to ingrain in me was "Don't Drive Like A Woman". Before the feminists throw their panties allow me to explain: All "woman drivers" are essentially female, but not all females are "woman drivers".


Confused? Here's the further breakdown:

A female driver gets in the car and drives.

A woman driver spends 30mins looking for her keys in her handbag, finds it in her hand, shifts 4 pairs of stilettos out of her way to locate her pedals, second guesses her outfit, changes 3 lanes then indicates her intention to do said manoeuvrings, stops in the middle of an intersection when she has a green arrow and has my father a definitive shade of puce and the exasperated expression "Woman Driver!" comes out with enough venom as if he had just spat out 1000 expletives.

Under no circumstances are you allowed to be a "Woman Driver" in my father's presence. Also, your brake pedal is not meant to be used as often as your lungs, an on-ramp / off-ramp is not a stop-street and 80 in a 120-zone is illegal.

Bearing all this in mind, I really am sorry I made my dad race with the girls, when we went go-karting for my brother's 17th birthday last Friday night at Century Karting in Canal Walk.

But the boys' race already had all the testosterone filled petrol-heads it could take and besides I needed someone to compete with my 28sec lap time. My (female) cousins who range from 12-14 and have never set foot behind the wheel of anything, were initially terrified but "soon" got the hang of the brake vs accelerator vs don't ride into the tyre walls!

It really is fun for the whole family. Besides the awesome adrenaline rush, the experience really makes you want to put your foot down on the straits and do some sliding turns into the corners. Also, the effects can transcend into your daily driving, therefore, it's highly recommended to bring a designated driver for the trip home a.k.a mom.

The girls showing off their modelling skills

The starting grid

Ready to race!

Dad handing out pre-race orders

Birthday Boy Meets Wall By Accident

Team Photo



No comments:

Post a Comment