Wednesday 31 July 2013

The One With The 25th Anniversary of the events that took place in 1988



I lied before, my favourite love story isn't "The Notebook", it isn't any type of fiction for that matter... My favourite love story is a real story, it's my parents' own special little fairytale... Which seems to involve three key ingredients: long hair, a toweling shorts and a green AR50 Kawasaki...


 I realised it was my favourite story last night during their 25th anniversary dinner (I planned it to be a surprise 4-course home-cooked family meal... it more or less went according to plan!). Just before dessert, my mom made a little speech and it was in those few words I saw how one decision can set you on the journey of a lifetime. It's not only my favourite story because I was born out of their union, but because it makes me believe in "true love" (Yes, I scoffed and snorted as I wrote this too).
 
I've never met two more opposite people in the world, mom loves football and rugby and Dan Carter, dad loves any sport that doesn't involve balls! But their fire and ice complements each other like the perfect yin & yang.


I know these days I'm in the minority to  still have both my parents alive and inlove, and I'm so appreciative of that everyday! They've not only taught me to be the best human being I can be, but they've taught me to love unconditionally!

Some things I've learnt by observing my parents:

1) Communication is key
2) Never assume
3) Laugh often
4) No problem is too big to overcome
5) It's truly the little things in life that mean the most

Some other fun facts about 1988:

1) Adele & Rihanna were born
2) Enzo Ferrari died
3) Crack (cocaine) appears in the USA along with the invention of prozac
4) Ayrton Senna wins his first (of 3) F1 Championships
5) An eathquake in Armenia kills 60 000 - the Kardashians had already escaped to America
6) Steffi Graf becomes only the 3rd woman in history to win the Grand Slam (Aus, French, & US Open & Wimbledon)
7) The first Die Hard hits cinemas
8) Stephen Hawking's book "A Brief History Of Time" hits bookshelves

All in all '88 seemed like a very cool year, after all "Le Boyfriend" was born too (and got his welcome to the family speech last night)... And I really like where this story is going :)

What 1988 sounded like:




3 comments:

  1. Very thought provoking. Well done Tarryn Jo. Tyrone, I've finally recognised you from Tarryn Jo's Titbits. Lose the helmet and shades bru.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The following also occurred in 1988 (amongst other things):
    The Progressive Federal Party merged with the newly founded National Democratic Movement and the Independent Party into the Democratic Party.

    PJ Powers is banned from radio and TV for a year.

    Rhodes University, Grahamstown establishes South Africa's first e-mail link to the Internet.

    Nelson Mandela is moved to Victor Verster Prison

    ReplyDelete
  3. I simply loved reading this

    ReplyDelete