Wednesday 21 November 2012

That will be the day that I die

No, I haven't become a fortune-teller or suicidal for that matter, but lately I've been thinking about things that would end my life. Not physically or literally (before someone calls the men in white jackets or the people at groen dakkies) but rather mentally and emotionally die... Allow me to explain:

There are certain things in life I will absolutely not compromise on, ever. And one of those things is food. Through my daily internet trawling I've come across various sources of "advice" on "healthy" eating. Many of these sources dedicate themselves to strict measures and exact portions, i.e. 55g of plain, low-fat, low-carb, low-taste (and boring) cottage cheese on 2 Provitas... Happy Lunch :/ Doh! I know I could do to lose about 5-10 kg from the waist down and the knees up, at the back, if you know what I mean... But never, ever will I allow my life to become so unfulfilled that every meal I eat will have to be weighed, measured and evaluated to death before I eat it. (Unless it's a really complicated recipe)

I strongly believe that everything in moderation makes you a happy human, there are enough limits in life, why create some more? My other favourite saying (which my mother absolutely hates because of its morbidness) is: enjoy your life, you don't have to carry your coffin one day!

This brings to mind my foodie icons: my absolute favourite has to be Nigella Lawson. I aspire to embody (excuse the pun) the lifestyle she so expertly portrays. 



On that note here's a totally awesomely indulgent recipe from my favourite cookbook this Summer - Make. Give. Sell by Callie Maritz and Mari-Louis Guy 
(Human & Rousseau - R250* - available at all good bookstores)


SERVES 6-8

Lyford Cay
Chocolate Mousse

Mari-Louis:
“I once helped out chef friends of mine for a large event at the
Lyford Cay Club on New Providence Island in the Bahamas, and we had
to make 1 000 servings of these. I had chocolate up to my elbows.”


INGREDIENTS
6 eggs, separated
¾ cup (150 g) castor sugar
300 g milk chocolate
3 Tbsp (45 ml) hot espresso
2 Tbsp (30 ml) rum
190 g butter, softened
whipped cream to serve
raspberries for decorating

In the bowl of an electric mixer, using the whisk attachment, beat the egg yolks and sugar until pale in colour.

In a heatproof bowl, break the chocolate into small pieces, pour the hot coffee over this and melt over a double boiler. Add the melted chocolate to the egg mixture and whisk to incorporate.

With the mixer on medium speed, add the rum and then incorporate the butter, a spoonful at a time, into the chocolate mixture. Increase the mixer speed to high and beat for another 2 minutes.

In a clean bowl of the electric mixer, using the whisk attachment, whisk the egg whites until soft peaks form, then fold this into the chocolate mixture.

Spoon into your choice of containers and refrigerate until needed. Allow to come to room temperature, then top with whipped cream and raspberries, and serve.

















*Disclaimer* Don't take my word for it!  All opinions expressed are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment